I have quite a bit of experience being on a budget while shopping for photography gear. So I thought I’d share some of the tips that may help you find what you are looking for without wanting to cry after a quick glance at your bank account!
First I will be going over some good options of equipment to be on the lookout for if you’re just getting into photography and looking to buy your first DSLR. In a future blog post I will go over some mirrorless options as well.
For these examples we will be using a $350-$600 Budget for you starter/beginner photography gear.
What are some good options??
1. Canon EOS Rebel T5 with 18-55mm Lens (Used $349 est.)
2. Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm Lens (Used $380 Est.)
3. Canon EOS Rebel T5i With 18-55mm Lens Kit (Used $500 Est.)
4. Nikon D7000 With 18-55mm (Used $500 est.)
Nikon D5300 With 18-55mm ( Used $520 Est)
What's a good extra lens to purchase if I have extra money in my budget?
50mm F/1.8 Lens
Where do can I find great deals on Used or New Camera Gear?
Craigslist or Ebay
Classified listing in your local Neighborhood. Whenever I'm on a search for new or used camera gear on a bargain, I usually first find myself on craigslist.com or ebay.com. I don't mind purchasing used gear as long as the items are in good condition and have not been used for a long time. Some buyers even check out the shutter count which is sort of like the mileage on your car engine. So thats something i'd ask when using Craigslist and only agree to meet in a public places such as Starbucks. DO NOT meet in a back alleyway to buy used camera gear.
As for ebay, I recommend to purchasing items online from sellers that have a high review rating from previous buyers. May calm your nerves when purchasing online equipment with your hard earned cash if there are many previous buyers that say its a trustworthy seller.
Online Used Camera Stores
- UsedPhotoPro.com - One of my favorites. Reason for that is the customer service is fantastic. They post actual photos of the camera gear that's for sale. They provide detailed descriptions of any kind of wear an tear on the items prior to your purchase. That's a winner.
- Amazon.com - Amazon always has great deals for camera gear and on a consistent basis. So I definetely wouldn't ignore this website when you are on the search. One of the largest dealers for pretty much anything. Although, I must mention when purchasing used gear just like ebay make sure the seller has a good track record of previous buyers.
- B&H Photo - Another website that I commend on their customer service along with their real time stock updates on what is available. I've had moments on several different sites that I would buy an item that is said to be in stock and once I actually payed, it was then on backorder....yeah not fun. That's not the case with B&H. B&H Photo is one of the largest online camera equipment dealers so the sheer amount of options they have is fantastic.
If your just starting out in photography it is highly important even as cliche as it may sound. It's not buying the most expensive gear you find that will give you the skill that you want to achieve. Even if you don't have these cameras shown above to start with yet. There are so many cheaper option out there even below $350.
If you have a old camera that's collecting dust, take that one out and practice. Learn some fundamentals and get to the point that you'll be able to achieve some photos you're looking to take with any camera you can get your hands on. Even your phone that may have a camera on it. Most of the time the best camera is the one you already have. Just...Go..Shoot.........Photos ^_^
If you have any questions or if you read this an enjoyed it let me know. I love to talk as you can see. Contact me on twitter @bornvivid_